The 2010 season is about to begin at Atlantic Canada’s most exciting stock car racing track! It’s been almost nine months since Speed Weekend, but our long wait will soon be over when the Riverview Ford/Lincoln Season Opener “goes green” this Saturday night.
There are a number of reasons to get excited about every season opener. We get to see great short track racing after a long off-season; the cars look great; it’s interesting to see who has moved from division to division as well as seeing new drivers. But best of all, it’s about seeing the fans, sponsors, race teams and staff who are part of the Speedway 660 racing family.
The Season Opener also brings back memories of friends who are no longer with us. People like Hughie Yorke, Sonny McRae, Frankie Moore, Bradley Logan’s dad, Ralph Brown, Alan Shirley’s dad, Gerry Tremblay and Scott Fraser. There are several other members of our racing family who have passed away in recent years, who we will never forget.
Going into every new season there are lots of questions that won’t be answered until late August or Labour Day Weekend.
Here are five questions for 2010.
5. How will the two new classes, the Bandoleros and Four cylinders, work out?
4. Will Greg Fahey continue his dominance by winning a third straight Coastal Blending & Packaging Pro Stock title?
3. Will Brian Gillespie and the Nackawic Night Train win a Pro Stock title, making him the first driver ever to win Street Stock, Sportsman and Pro Stock championships?
2. Will any of the veterans including: Glyn Nott, Wade Harris, Michael Banks or George Jamieson finally win a Sportsman championship?
1. Can Speed Weekend 2010 top the excitement of 2009 when Lonnie Sommerville and Dan McNeil drove to dramatic victories in the Peterbilt 250 and O’Leary Pontiac Excitement 150?
I am sure you have your own questions about the 2010 season.
The 2010 Speedway 660 schedule is jammed packed with action you won’t want to miss. Following quickly on the heels of our season opener, the month of June is incredible with DQ Kids Night, the Pro-All Star Series 200, Military Appreciation Night and FANFEST 2010. That ought to get your motor runnin!
Come see us this Saturday night and because you are a fan of short track racing, please tell your family, friends, co-workers and other folks about the excitement that is only available at Speedway 660. You are our best ambassadors, so please spread the word and introduce other people to the awesome sport of stock car racing. They will be glad you did.
With the 2010 season about to begin, it’s going to be fun to see the newest Saturday Night Heroes and Villains. It’s all happening at Speedway 660 this Saturday night, when the green flag drops on our 17th season in the Geary Woods!